Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 5: Settling in to routine.

This is pot number 4 for the day, currently brewing.  It's 1PM.  Sounds right?

Finally found a job where I can literally make and drink coffee at a rate commensurate with my desire for caffeination.  I have a hotplate on my desk, a mug on the hotplate, and an ever-filling french press to fill the mug with.  Hot coffee, perpetually at my fingertips.  It's amazing how well you can do without the necessities in life, provided you have the little luxuries (to quote Pitch Black).  5 of 6 classes are dialed in and on a path to learning some math, one frustrating class just won't land.  I thought today I was certainly bracketing their ability level (I had way overshot the first day, was clearly still mildly ahead of them the second day, pulled way back looking for something too easy so I could start zeroing in on the material that's just challenging enough for them) but it turns out I overshot again.  So I'm starting to feel like a real jerk (how much has it got to be not fun to have someone just keep handing you material you can't do, walking you through a couple problems on the board, then leaving you to rot in a stew of "can't do this"?), and a downright incompetent teacher.  Sounds about right for my prep period, which falls between the aforementioned unbracketable class and my dream last class of the day. So I get to stew for an hour, then end on a positive note.  

Last night I saw a team of sled dogs pulling a (running) snowmobile.  You wanna talk about your weird mix of pre- and post-industrial?  There it is.  I wish I'd had my camera.  Gonna start taking the camera on my walk home (would've yesterday, but the TSA finally decided that after delaying my bag, unpacking it and repacking it in such a way that everything broke, stealing 3 bags of fruit snacks (or losing?  But I think stealing), and putting no less than 3 notices informing me it was inspected in my bag, that they'd send it along to me; so I was hiking home with 50 lbs of checked luggage and didn't have room for the camera), and hopefully I'll snap a pick of the bizarre daily village life here.  But I don't know how it's gonna top a sled dog team pulling a self-powered vehicle.

2 comments:

  1. Your commitment to the work is really inspiring. I bet these kids are going to remember you!

    ReplyDelete