Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 4: Still haven't seen the sun.

Looking at it, you could almost forget it's in the middle of nowhere.

Correction: the Middle of Nowhere is the regional hub where our mail goes.  Second day of school, and yesterday was another 7am to 9:30pm day, here I am back at school before 8am, and I still haven't left the school during daylight.  Getting an operational math curriculum spun up out of scraps and notes isn't exactly an easy task, but yesterday went very well.  Of my 6 classes, 3 of them I had right on target, 2 I'd leapt a little too far for them to follow me, and one of them I hadn't leapt far enough.  Stayed late last night rewriting course plans for the three misses, and today we'll find out if I've course-corrected them onto a more reasonable path.  Walking around this school is a surreal experience.  You know, intellectually, that this is a little aircraft-hangar-looking school in the middle of nowhere, and at the same time it's one of the nicest high school facilities I've ever been in.  Fully outfitted gym, card-locking doors, clean floors, nice undented lockers - it's a bizarre combination.  Maybe makes you feel a little less frontiersy despite the remote location?

No comments:

Post a Comment